Restoration of Anzac Hall, a historic building connected with Featherston Military Camp.
The Anzac/Kiwi Hall building is a Category 1 historic place, registered by the NZ Historic Places Trust in 1987. It is the last remaining building connected with the former Featherston Military Training Camp, as it was built by Featherston citizens as a recreational facility for soldiers at the camp. It will be a key focal point in the Wairarapa for First World War centenary events. The building is historically significant not only as a memorial to the soldiers of the two world wars, but also for its role as a temporary hospital both during the 1918 influenza epidemic and again after the riot of Japanese prisoners of war in 1943. Featherston's Town Hall was demolished in the 1970s, and the building is an important community resource which functions as the town hall.
The Anzac Hall turned 100 years old on 16 October 2016. Restoration work has preserved the building for continuing use as a facility and as a permanent memorial to Wairarapa soldiers killed in the First World War.
The exterior was being stripped, treated and repainted, along with repair work to timber and joinery as required. A new roof was put on. The interior walls and floors were repainted/revarnished, and the toilet areas tidied up.
A garden incorporating a large rock removed from near the summit of the Remutaka hill was created. Soldiers from Featherston camp made their final training march over the Remutakas and back to Trentham. The garden includes three flagpoles, and has a surrounded of white painted rocks similar to the decorations made by soldiers at the camp. The rocks were painted by local kindergarten and primary school students.