Restoring and improving the Queens Gardens (including the Cenotaph) in preparation for First World War commemorative events.
The Cenotaph is the centre of Queens Gardens and dominates the Gardens due to its imposing scale and its central location within the landscaping of the area. Construction began on the Cenotaph in 1924.
Designed by William Henry Gummer as the First World War Soldiers’ Memorial, it was completed and unveiled on 17 March 1927 by HRH the Duke of York. The construction of the Cenotaph marked the beginning of the present war memorial garden setting of the Queens Gardens (detailed as phases III and IV of the history of the area and the second phase of the Gardens specifically within the Conservation Plan developed by Jackie Gillies and Associates).
A seismic assessment has been undertaken by Hadley and Robinson. They have found the Cenotaph not to be earthquake-prone but have suggested some remedial seismic works. The Conservation Plan and subsequent seismic assessment and condition assessment have recommended the following works: replacing the capping at the top of the Cenotaph, using high strength concrete with glass fibre reinforcement, and; repairing cracks in the concrete paving below the plinth.
Concurrent with these works, the Dunedin City Council will investigate improvements to the surrounding Queens Gardens area to encourage better and more respectful use of the area, protect and enhance the Gardens’ role as a commemorative space (both on Anzac day and throughout the year), and enrich the space as a place for people to spend time.
For more information, please contact Glen Hazelton at Dunedin City Council, (03) 474 3375 or [email protected]