Get the latest press releases from the WW100 Programme Office.
Latest press release
Fake News is Nothing New: Censorship in the First World War
Fake news is nothing new. 100 years ago, censorship restrictions in place during the First World War saw newspaper headlines portray disastrous battles like those at Gallipoli as decisive victories.
A new campaign from WW100 (First World War Centenary Programme) puts wartime censorship itself under the spotlight. The online campaign features a series of animated videos, essays and cartoons which investigate the impacts of censorship historically, as well as considering some of the issues which affect the free flow of information in New Zealand today.
Censorship was introduced in 1914, long before New Zealand troops fired their first shot. It imposed restrictions on the information which could be shared via newspapers, telegrams and even private letters. It was considered essential to the war effort.
Historian and archivist Jared Davidson says, “Censorship was designed to keep crucial information like troop movements from falling into enemy hands. But it was also used to conceal the war’s grim realities from those at home and as a tool to keep domestic dissent in check”.
“More than a million letters, postcards and packages were opened and examined during the war and news of military campaigns were heavily censored to portray the allied cause in the best possible light. It was illegal to screen any film that had not been approved by a government censor and in 1917, even the sale of invisible ink was banned.”
“As the fighting dragged on, war weariness and unrest grew on the home front. Foreign nationals, pacifist and dissenters increasingly found themselves under the watchful eye of the censors. By November 1918, 287 people had been charged or jailed for seditious or disloyal remarks,” says Davidson.
The WW100 campaign also contrasts First World War censorship with what’s happening in 2018 where issues like information overload, algorithms, social media silos and media law figure prominently in conversations about freedom of information and expression.
Opinion pieces by commentators including Massey University journalism lecturer James Hollings, RNZ Digital Editor Megan Whelan, cartoonist Sharon Murdoch and Henry Talbot from the Office of Film and Literature Classification, explore these and other issues.
WW100 Director Sarah Davies says, “This campaign is designed to help people gain a deeper understanding of the realities of life in the First World War. Looking at the issue of censorship in connection with things we see happening today, makes it that much more relevant”.
For more information and to arrange interviews, please contact:
Hannah Leahy, Senior Communications Advisor, WW100 Programme Office
Phone: 04 499 4229 (ext 630) or 027 628 4815
Previous press releases
- Monumental: New Zealand’s First World War Memorials (18 April 2018)
- National ceremony to mark the centenary of the Battle of Beersheba (27 October 2017)
- National commemorative programme to remember Passchendaele (14 September 2017)
- Celebrating Compassion – Remembering New Zealand's support for Belgium (1 August 2017)
- Valuable insights into the First World War showcased at Pukeahu (13 September 2016)
- Winners announced for the #MyAnzacDay photo competition (12 May 2016)
- Kiwi personalities to judge #MyAnzacDay photo competition (17 April 2016)
- Launch of #MyAnzacDay photo competition (11 April 2016)
- First World War commemorations focus on Western Front in 2016 (27 January 2016)
- A second Christmas (18 December 2015)
- National ceremony to mark the centenary of the Battle for Chunuk Bair (5 August 2015)
- Chunuk Bair centenary marked at Pukeahu on 8 August (1 July 2015)
- WW100 marks the centenary of the Gallipoli landings (2 April 2015)
- WW100 Toolkit for groups (7 November 2014)
- WW100 Director Appointed (23 October 2014)
- WW100 commemorative pin available for purchase from 24 October 2014 (17 October 2014)
- Ngā Tapuwae New Zealand First World War Trails Interpretive Sign Unveiled (17 October 2014)
- New Zealand Centenary of Departure of Troops (15 October 2014)
- Marking the Centenary of New Zealand's Occupation of Samoa (29 August 2014)
- New Zealand Marks the Centenary of the Occupation of Samoa (25 August 2014)
- Marking the announcement of War, First World War (4 August 2014)
- New Zealand first to mark First World War centenary (29 July 2014)
- WW100 First World War Centenary Programme announced (28 July 2014)
- Youth Representatives Depart for Paris (7 July 2014)
- Four young New Zealanders chosen for Bastille Day commemorations (3 June 2014)
- Calling young New Zealanders qui parlent Français (1 May 2014)
- Gallipoli ballot special passes allocated (24 April 2014)
- Third round of WW100 lottery grants announced (17 April 2014)
- Results of the Gallipoli 2015 ballot announced (31 March 2014)
- History of New Zealand’s involvement in First World War launched (11 November 2013)
- Second round of WW100 lottery grants announced (6 November 2013)
- Anzac Day at Gallipoli 2015 - ballot dates confirmed (31 October 2013)
- The White Ships – peaceful sailing in the First World War (8 October 2013)
- Military commemoration dates announced (19 September 2013)
- National War Memorial Park on target (29 May 2013)
- Principles of Gallipoli 2015 ballot announced (13 May 2013)
- First World War Centenary projects funded (24 April 2013)
- New Zealand understanding of WW1 – a benchmark survey (9 April 2013)
- Life, Love and War 100 Years Ago Today (9 April 2013)
- Ballot numbers for Gallipoli 2015 confirmed (12 February 2013)
- Australian Memorial design unveiled (11 February 2013)
- First sod turned for National War Memorial Park (29 October 2012)
- Work starts on National War Memorial Park (28 September 2012)
- Public asked for views on Gallipoli 2015 ballot (26 September 2012)
- Dynamic hub for WW100 commemorations (19 September 2012)
- National War Memorial Park Bill Passes First Reading (31 August 2012)
- Trusted New Zealanders appointed to WW100 Centenary Panel (16 August 2012)
- New National War Memorial Park to be ready for Anzac centenary (7 August 2012)
- Two milestones for WW100 commemorations (17 July 2012)
- Government announces First World War Centenary plans (31 August 2011)