Venture Southland is seeking the public’s help in the very first step of gathering knowledge of the whereabouts of all war memorials in the Southland region.
Venture Southland is seeking the public’s help in the very first step of gathering knowledge of the whereabouts of all war memorials. A ‘war memorial’ is defined for this projects as "any object or structure created and dedicated in honour of the many brave men and women who gave service and/or lost their lives to the wars." It must be located in the Southland region.
At this early stage, Venture Southland is hoping to gather as much information as possible about as many war memorials as possible – the data will be researched and refined in the second stage of the project.
What is needed most now is for the public to contact Venture Southland staff and relay as much detail about each specific war memorial as is known to them. This may include:
- an identifying name
- the type/form (e.g. roll of honour, memorial bridge, memorial plaque on seat, monument, bird bath, cairn, etcetera)
- an exact-as-possible location (ideally a RAPID/street number and location)
- the property or land owner’s name if located on private land (if known)
- who/what organisation is responsible for it (if known)
- whether access to it is publicly available or by arrangement
- the names recorded (if applicable)
- any other general details of worth
Venture Staff are urging the public to contact them regardless of the amount of detail they may have, to ensure, (at very least) the memorial makes it onto the list (where further research can then be undertaken). A contact person would also be of great use.
Suzanne McKenzie (03) 2111 400 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nick Round Turner on (03) 2111 413 or email@example.com