On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, after four years of brutal conflict, war finally gave way to peace. Join us as we commemorate Armistice Day in Waimate, 9-11 Nov 2018
The Waimate RSA invite you to join them in commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.
Friday 9 November
- Visit the White Cross Field of Remembrance in Victoria Park. This will be the last year the crosses will be displayed
Saturday 10 November
- A Search Light will be operating on Saturday evening [weather permitting] on the top of the White Horse
Sunday 11 November
- From 9.30am to 10.55am: 100yr gun salute, 100 rounds fired. Guns will be placed at Studholmes (opposite the Waimate Showgrounds)
- 11am: Fire alarm 11 times signaling all clear. [End Of War]
- 11.05am: Church bells ring out. Sirens and whistles. Public are encouraged to toot horns etc. Check out “Roaring Chorus”
- 11.11am: Armistice day Service at Victoria Park Gates. Laying of Wreaths
11.30am: Pipe Band Plays in Victoria Park
12:30pm: Lunch at the Waimate Town & Country Club ($16.00 pp). Lunch tickets available at Parkers Bookshop until 5th November.